Happy Thanksgiving 2023, and let’s emphasize the Spirit of Giving!
As we celebrate this special day of gratitude, we can emphasize the spirit of giving – reflecting on how we can continue to make a positive impact in our families, among our friends, and in our larger communities.
Here are some ideas for acts of kindness and giving for thirty days, spread out through next year, to help establish the spirit of giving – a giving mindset and a great giving exploration:
- November 23, Thanksgiving Day 2023 Many families really do take time to express what they’re thankful for, including the opportunity to bring those dearest to us, nearest to us, once more.
- November 24, Friendsgiving Day 2023 Ditto #1 above.
- November 25 Small Business Saturday 2023 Patronize your favorite small shop(s).
- November 27 Cyber Monday 2023 If you’re not in a position to patronize your favorite small shops – or even if you are – go the extra mile and give them a great review on Google or a community bulletin board. Tell others why they’re a favorite of yours.
- November 30, 2023 Give yourself “Calls to Action.” Subscribe to newsletters or podcasts having to do with volunteer service work and causes with which you identify to be aware of what is happening in your areas of interest on a long-term basis.
- December 1, 2023 – Support a Local Food Bank Consider donating non-perishable food items to your nearest food bank. Many people struggle with food insecurity, especially during the holiday season.
- December 15, 2023 – Provide Warm Clothing Gather gently-used coats, scarves, and gloves, and donate them to a homeless shelter. Winter can be harsh, and your donations can make a big difference.
- December 25, 2023 – Christmas Giving Continue the tradition of giving by volunteering at a Christmas charity event or donating to a favorite charitable organization.
Extend the Spirit of Giving through the New Year
- January 7, 2024 – Volunteer at a Senior Center or Assisted Living Facility. Spend some time with elderly residents at a local senior center. Your companionship can brighten their day and reduce feelings of loneliness…both ways!
- January 21, 2024 – Clean Up a Local Park Organize a community clean-up day at a nearby park. A cleaner environment benefits everyone and fosters community pride.
- February 14, 2024 – Send Cards to Hospitalized Children Create and send Valentine’s Day cards to children in the hospital. Your warm wishes can bring smiles to their faces during a challenging time.
- March 3, 2024 – Plant a Tree Join a tree-planting event in your area. Trees improve air quality, provide shade, and contribute to a healthier planet.
- March 17, 2024 – Help a Neighbor Offer assistance to an elderly or disabled neighbor, whether it’s shoveling snow, grocery shopping, or simply being a good listener.
- April 22, 2024 – Earth Day Cleanup Participate in an Earth Day cleanup event to remove litter from local streets and parks. A cleaner environment benefits everyone’s quality of life.
- May 5, 2024 – Donate Blood Visit a local blood donation center and give the gift of life. Blood donations are crucial for saving lives in emergencies and medical procedures.
- May 20, 2024 – Support a Local Animal Shelter Donate pet supplies, volunteer your time, or consider adopting a furry friend from a local animal shelter.
- June 10, 2024 – Mentor a Student Offer your expertise to mentor a student in your field. Guidance and support can significantly impact their educational and career journey.
- June 24, 2024 – Community Garden Join or start a community garden project, providing fresh produce to those in need and fostering a sense of unity.
- July 7, 2024 – Send Care Packages to Troops Assemble care packages with essential items and snacks to send to deployed military personnel. Your support boosts morale.
- July 21, 2024 – Organize a Charity Run/Walk Host a charity run or walk to raise funds for a cause you’re passionate about. It promotes fitness and community engagement.
- August 15, 2024 – Donate Books Contribute books to a local library or school. Reading opens doors to knowledge and opportunities for young minds.
- August 29, 2024 – Help a Homeless Shelter Provide hygiene kits or toiletries to a homeless shelter. These small items can make a big difference for those in need.
- September 11, 2024 – Remember 9/11 Pay tribute to the heroes and victims of 9/11 by supporting a charity related to first responders or veterans.
- September 25, 2024 – Support A Group or Organization You Care About If you’ve had a loved one affected by disease or disabilty, take time to donate of volunteer on your loved one’s behalf. Perhaps support a group that hasn’t directly affected you or a loved one, simply to reach out and learn while helping.
- October 10, 2024 – Assist a Domestic Violence Shelter Offer your time or resources to a domestic violence shelter, helping survivors rebuild their lives.
- October 24, 2024 – Organize a Community Cleanup Rally or simply join others in your community to clean up a neglected area, making it safer and more inviting for everyone.
- November 8, 2024 – Help a Children’s Hospital Donate toys, art supplies, or funds to a children’s hospital. Bringing joy to young patients is a heartwarming endeavor.
- November 22, 2024 – Thanksgiving Again! Celebrate Thanksgiving by volunteering at a local soup kitchen or providing meals to families in need.
- December 10, 2024 – Sponsor a Family for the Holidays Support a less fortunate family during the holiday season by providing gifts, groceries, or other necessities.
- December 25, 2024 – Christmas Giving Continue the tradition of giving by volunteering at a Christmas charity event or donating to a favorite charitable organization.
- December 31, 2024 Thanks for Giving! Now look ahead and plan to do more in the year 2025! Look at all you’ve done, and ask yourself what you enjoyed doing the most. Plan on more of it. Ask yourself what you’d like to learn about, and see if there’s a way to learn while serving. Do you notice how nicely this will tie in with New Year’s Resolutions a little over a year from now?
These acts of kindness in a true spirit of giving can have a lasting and meaningful impact on your family, friends, and community, aligning you with your spirit of giving not only during Thanksgiving but throughout the entire year. Remember, the benefits extend beyond those you help; they also enrich your own life and contribute to a stronger, more caring society.
We welcome you to share your ideas in the “Spirit of Giving” in the comments below.
Thanks to our friends & vendors at www.WisX.com for sharing this post with us, so we could share it with you! WisX, in turn, thanks Paul Haut of WHaut.com and Mark Mullarky of GreatLakesTS.com who – each in their own spirit of giving – gave us the ideas for these holiday blog posts!